Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Here we go again

Things got hairy.

Not really, life-threateningly-hairy, just can't-get-to-the-bottom-of-my-to-do-list hairy.  So there was a rather extended blogging break.  But I'm back, and happy to be so.     

It is no coincidence that I'm re-upping on Ash Wednesday.  I am using Lent to try to intentionally bring back two of my great loves: reading and writing.  I can't pinpoint when exactly they fell off my List of Important Things, but they did and I miss them.  I am (was) an avid and voracious reader.  Long working hours at the church and at home have lead to evenings collapsed in a useless heap in front of CSI or Glee.  It is a wicked cycle and I know I'm not the only one who falls prey to it.

So I'm letting Lent be my springboard back to spiritual and intellectual wellness.  Right now, I've got three books in the hopper: Deep and Wide by Andy Stanley, Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel, and Building Emotional Intelligence: Techniques to Build Inner Strength in Children by Linda Lantieri. I'm enjoying all three to varying degrees and hope to use them for writing fodder in the future. 

The writing I'm going to do here.  Not every day, but several times a week. And I might add some photography, too, though that might be pushing it.  I plan on going back to some of the original themes of this blog, kids, politics, religion, parenting, and see what is stirring.  My hope is that you will join in these conversations and that I will inspired to keep writing.  We shall see.  Just this first, semi-useless entry feels good.  Let's hope I continue to stay inspired, even as the hairiness continues.


2 comments:

  1. Noelle,

    You might or might not know that I use the theory of Emotional Intelligence as the basis for much of my consulting work in the corporate arena - even have an assessment that measures it. I think there are wonderful opportunities in the world of parenting with respect to EI. I have a book by Betty Judd - Help Your Child Develop Emotional Literacy that might find its way onto your Lenten reading list. I am glad to hear that you are taking on something for Lent. I have done that for about 6 years and have found it has enriched the season as well as my life after Lent (everyone goes back to chocolate). Hope you have a blessed Lent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. En garde! Looking forward to it. Lent is as good a time as any to re-up on the reading and writing, given that chocolate deprivation is off the table. For me, it's back to Mysticism, by Evelyn Underhill, plus the 10-12 fun books stacked by my bed.

    Blessed reading and writing,
    Gretchen

    ReplyDelete